Thoughts of the Intellectual Few

A tongue-in-cheek look at the world and the life of a man who sees things clearly, albeit through cynical glasses.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Suburban Madness

I have a little love affair going on with Canada.

Toronto to be specific. I was fortunate enough to get a gig as the dialogue coach for a Movie of the Week that was shooting there. It has since become one of my favorite cities. Toronto has a life and vibrancy that affects you when you walk down the street or ride the rocket (the subway) or sit in one of the many beautiful parks. The people are friendly and liberal -- both in thought and in behavior. I would go back anytime.

It's funny how things work out. I thought I had left the film business behind. When my wife and I left L.A. for different prospects in Houston I left my dreams of acting and writing in the little house we had just off Melrose Avenue. It took a while to reconcile that decision. Sure enough, just as I had come to terms with things, I got the call about "Suburban Madness." Call it a twist-of-fate, cosmic irony, small world type of event. A friend of mine recommended me to be the dialogue coach for this film about Clara Harris, the woman who ran over her cheating husband three times with her Mercedes. The movie was being shot in Toronto and they needed someone to add a little authenticity to the production.

Most of the actors in the film were Canadian, except for the leads -- Sela Ward, Elizabeth Pena, and Brett Cullen. It seems that the cast (who were supposed to be residents of Friendswood) didn't sound like they were from southeast Texas.

Well after some negotiations, some soul-searching, and encouragement from loved ones, I left for 28 days to work on the film. And I loved it. Besides the fact that the cast and crew were wonderful, both professionally and as friends, I was reminded that I have something to offer.

Since leaving L.A. I had felt adrift. I wasn't sure what I was going to do or even if there was anything I could do. Those 28 days in T.O. (that's Toronto, Ontario for those in the know) taught me a lot about myself. Obviously I missed my family the entire time I was there, but I came back a changed person. A better person I think, someone that you might like to be around, someone that my wife and kids could smile about.

The film was OK. To be honest, I thought it was going to be better while we were filming. But the experience, the process was magical, and one I am thankful for.

So I would like to say thanks to all the friends I made while in Toronto. I was happy to be a part of it.


Some cast and crew of "Suburban Madness" at my goodbye party overlooking downtown Toronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home