Thoughts of the Intellectual Few

A tongue-in-cheek look at the world and the life of a man who sees things clearly, albeit through cynical glasses.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Looking forward, looking back

Hello fair friend ...

It's been a bit since I've checked in, and a great deal has happened in the interim. I am a college graduate. The odyssey that started in Memphis in 1989 has come to completion. My university studies ended with a whimper not a bang -- almost an afterthought. None the less, the family is happy and there is a sense of completion so that is fine.

We are relocating to San Francisco. My amazing wife was promoted again and we are headed back out west. That is definitely for the best. As my friend Michael said, it's about time we went back to a blue state. I see the move as Tom Joad once did -- full of possibilities and endless opportunity. I'm sure there will be more chances for writing and I believe I will try my hand at teaching if I can find a school that will have me. Yes, friends, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades (except in the summer, which in San Francisco is reportedly like winter).

Interesting though to look back at my time in Houston. We moved here in May 2001. An acquaintance asked me recently what I would miss most about Houston. Sadly, I could only think of a couple of eateries and the proximity to my parents house. Man, that is lame. Four years and that's all I could come up with? To be honest, I had a piss-poor attitude the first 18 months. I probably wouldn't have liked anything then, but after that? Why not a few friends? Wherefore the dirth of wonderful memories? Oh, I have a few recollections, but not even close to four years worth.

With the move I am moving forward. I will make friends, make memories. Past failures are behind me.

So here's to you San Francisco. I will see you shortly with flowers in my hair. And here's to you Houston. You are not the brightest light, the fairest maiden, or the best place to raise a family. In fact, you are most things that I dislike, but I should have given you a fair shake. To both cities -- skol.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Myatt, after reading a few of your blogs, and listening to your stories and the way you talk in class, i've come to have alot more respect and interest towards you than i did at first. At first, I was kind of iffy about what you and what your class was going to be like. But you are a very interesting person who has a different appraoch towards other people. Your so calm and relaxed with your thoughts, and you know exactly what you are talking about and the message that your trying to convey to others. Your blogs are so in depth and on topic. You are such a detailed and expressive person. I enjoy hearing life stories, and peoples thoughts and views on things. I enjoy analyzing people and getting to know the real them, and hearing about their past and what they've been through. The way I see it, everyone has a different story to where they are now. You learn things from other peoples stories and how they think of things, and I've come to enjoy your lectures and your view on things, even though i may not show it in class. You have a great way with things and how you present yourself. I've come to have alot of respect towards you, so keep on doing what your doing. You probobly wouldn't expect this from me since I rarely talk in class, but just thought i'd let you know your making an impact! Keep it up!

-A 3rd block chick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home