Thoughts of the Intellectual Few

A tongue-in-cheek look at the world and the life of a man who sees things clearly, albeit through cynical glasses.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A discussion about space

Well, fair friends it's been a while.

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but I'm coming back in with the Intellectual Few. Things have gotten in my way up here in my lovely canyon in Castro Valley. I haven't made the time to share my thoughts since we relocated to the Bay Area. Life can get in the way of reflection, as I'm sure you know. Boys go to school, job searches take up time, chores have to be done, and this place can suck you in (I'll get to that later) ... that's the way with things ....

But reflection -- a look inside (and out) is essential, so the blog is back up and running. We may sputter at first, the pump needs to be primed, but the thoughts will be laid out, open and bare, for your observation and entertainment.

To that end, let me tell you about the wonders of space. Not the out-there-stars-in-the-heavens-NASA-type space, but having space to roam, watch animals and trees, and enough room to walk around naked.

When we moved to the Bay Area we were lucky enough to find a place to call home that I wasn't aware existed anymore -- at least not this close to a big city. Here in friendly Castro Valley, less than an hour from San Francisco and ten minutes from Oakland there is a canyon with one way in. If you go about two and a half miles up that windy road, you might find me in a big, beautiful house sitting on 165 acres of hills, creeks, canyon, and trees. Oh, and up here my friends, there is plenty of space.

It's a big house, the kind I pictured might be up in the mountains when I was in a one room apartment many moons ago. It's roomy and solid, with twenty foot windows and an eight foot stone fireplace in the family room. The kitchen is chef caliber, there are more bathrooms (four) than bedrooms (three), the ceilings soar and the floors are lived in, scratched hard wood planks. But it's not all wine and roses; it's colder in the house than out. In some places the walls don't quite square with th floors and ceilings, drafts come in uninvited, and running out of water is always a threat, but all in all, I can't find much to pick at.

However, the joy of this place is seen when you open the door. For about as far as you can see nature looks back at you. There are large fenced in areas for the dogs (not to mention the goats and llamas that have lived here since before we came) and a huge fenced in area for gardening, complete with raised beds and shade protection. After that though, it's just trees, trails, and land, both beautiful and wild, natural and unkempt.

Consequently, we get many visitors -- the kind that arrive on foor legs or by wing. A peacock and a gaggle of guinea hens has adopted us as well as a family of feral cats. Skunks and raccoons mosy down from the hills to eat the cat's food and eagles soar overhead in lazy circles looking for the gophers that are wrecking the one place that has a lawn. Foxes run around down by the creek and deer are always eating something by the barn and the driveway. Although the closest person is too far to see, we are never alone out here.

It's an amazing place. I'm in better shape, both physically and emotionally, than I ever was in Houston or for that matter L.A. Walking around up here, collecting firewood, amending the garden beds, feeding the animals -- it melts away the stress and cares of every day life. Sure there is a Starbucks less than five miles from here, and if you drive the eight minutes to get on the freeway, you'll get stuck in traffic, but up here there is space, room to breathe. I'm thankful my boys are able to grow up a little bit here.

Now I know I'm blessed, that most people don't have this kind of good fortune, but take some time to go to a big park or drive somewhere out in the country where you can find some space -- space to roam, space to smile, space to be. It'll take years off your life.

1 Comments:

At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Myatt. Someone from class showed my friends and I this website and we just decided to read over it. The way you explain this blog, and all of your blogs are nothing short of detailed and intricate. This place that you're explaining in this blog reminds me so much of my father's house in another state. I only get to visit him about once a year, but it's for a month. When I'm there, I feel so free. It's as if nothing can go wrong, and I can just do whatever I want. It's in the middle of a forest, where there is a lake about a hundred yards from it and we are surrounded by trees. Although it is nicer up there, I have some responsibilities down here. There are certain people I have to take care of before I leave off for college.

On another note, I just wanted to say that I am starting to actually enjoy your class, Mr. Myatt. At first I was a bit skeptical of your teachings due to previous classes, but then I realized that I shouldn't judge by the amount of work you give, but by the real things learned in class. Also, I would like to say sorry for sometimes putting my head down in class. It's not because I don't care for what we are discussing, but it's because I don't really get much sleep during the night and I just can't stay awake sometimes. Anyway, keep up the good work Mr. Myatt.

-Your Third Block Student

 

Post a Comment

<< Home